Health and wellness
Cold and flu season is upon us and while we want to blame the kids at school for spreading it around (school is a petri dish), truth is, everywhere we go now is potential for those nasty little germs. So whether you’re fighting the flu, strep, or just a head cold, here’s a few things you can do to get you through it and on your way to feeling better.
!. Rest! I cannot stress this enough! Rest is probably one of the most, if not the most, important thing you can do right now. Get in your comfys and climb in bed early. Sleep in when you can. Put your phone or ipod away from your bedroom (an entirely different room would be best), and do some relaxation techniques to help you fall asleep faster.
2. Eat well. This is the most critical time to eat your fruits and veggies. If you weren’t a big greens eater before, now is the time to up your raw foods game. Google raw shake recipes and load up. Your body is crying out for good nutrition, give it what it needs!
3. Hydrate!!! Another very important thing. Water, coconut water, limited amounts of Gatorade, organic apple juice. When you have a fever, even if you’re not throwing up, you still need to hydrate. Try to get at least 64 ounces of liquid a day. And no, wine and spirits are not the same. Healthy liquids people!
4. Try your best to fight off the bugs with natural cough and cold meds and homeopaths. My favorites are Hylands homeopathic cough and cold and Oscillococcinum (both are sold at Walgreens, Target and Walmart) and help your body ward off the nasties faster and build your immune system.
5. Probiotics! Another must whether you’re fighting off a bug, or needing to clean up your gut, probiotics is a must have pretty much always.
6. And last, when you’re all better, take the time to really clean your house and get rid of all the critters that invade your body. But, instead of using bleach, use a non toxic enzyme cleaner that will eliminate all. Basic G from Shaklee or Simple Green are two very good green cleaners that will do a great job in scouring your house. They even get rid of the strep virus and they’re organic!
Good luck this season and stay healthy!!!